KDE and Wikipedia

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sat May 13 19:54:00 BST 2006

A Dissabte 13 Maig 2006 20:42, Cornelius Schumacher va escriure:
> On Saturday 13 May 2006 19:22, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > One year ago it was announced
> > http://dot.kde.org/1119552379/
> > that there were plans for a KDE API to wikipedia. I know this has not
> > been done, and iirc someone told me its their (wikipedia) fault.
>
> I'm not sure it's helpful to examine whose fault it is. This is open
> source, so if you want something to happen, you can do it. Wikipedia
> certainly also is happy about contributers.

Everyone is.

> There is another Wikipedia related opportunity: At Linuxtag somebody from
> Wikipedia asked, if we could help with creating a Wikipedia offline reader.
> Any KDE people interested in working on this?
>
> > Anyone from the TWG could "press" them a bit? Maybe even threatening them
> > a saying that if they do not fullfil their promises we will issue a
> > comunicate explaining why that announced collaboration failed.
>
> Come on, that's not how things work in our communities.

Well, when you do a statement, you have to be sure to fulfill it or your
credibility goes down, i don't want KDE credibility to shrink due to
Wikipedia not fullfiling their "duties".

> If you want something to happen, write code.

I do, all i can, people even say i should write less and have more real life
relationships.

> > Albert - who does not like selling smoke to the masses
>
> I understand the feeling, but the only way to improve the situation is to
> do some actual work.

I can do the KDE work, but i'm obviously not the right person to do anything
web related, because i hate it and because i have 0 experience on it.

Albert