KDE and Wikipedia

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Sat May 13 19:42:22 BST 2006

On Saturday 13 May 2006 19:22, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> One year ago it was announced
> http://dot.kde.org/1119552379/
> that there were plans for a KDE API to wikipedia. I know this has not been
> done, and iirc someone told me its their (wikipedia) fault.

I'm not sure it's helpful to examine whose fault it is. This is open source,
so if you want something to happen, you can do it. Wikipedia certainly also
is happy about contributers.

There is another Wikipedia related opportunity: At Linuxtag somebody from
Wikipedia asked, if we could help with creating a Wikipedia offline reader.
Any KDE people interested in working on this?

> Anyone from the TWG could "press" them a bit? Maybe even threatening them a
> saying that if they do not fullfil their promises we will issue a
> comunicate explaining why that announced collaboration failed.

Come on, that's not how things work in our communities. If you want something
to happen, write code.

> Albert - who does not like selling smoke to the masses

I understand the feeling, but the only way to improve the situation is to do
some actual work.