[RFC] Moving out KDE3 stuff out of trunk

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Mon May 8 18:15:17 BST 2006

On Monday 08 May 2006 12:00, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 7. Mai 2006 14:39 schrieb Nicolas Goutte:
> > But we cannot keep KDE3 and KDE4 stuff one by another in a same l10n
> > module. That would be a nightmare for example for Scripty, as it would
> > mean handling 2 xgettext versions and using the "messages" target  on one
> > but Messages.sh in the other case. (Not counting how to write the
> > check_po_files sript for such a case.)
>
> So we need to split between KDE and extragear translations at this point?

I would prefer not any split at all. That is why I have made the proposal.

The urgent (but not acute) goal is to open trunk/l10n for KDE4 translations.
(There is enough tasks to be done that they have to be distributed between
now and the timepoint of the release of KDE4 tech-preview. And currently I
can still spare some time to help for that task; I am not sure to be able to
do so in a few weeks or in a few months.)

> I don't think that Scripty will be that compilated - after all you need to
> maintain two sets of scripts either way and maintaining a list of what are
> KDE3 and what are KDE4 modules isn't hard enough to justify an extra copy
> of l10n.

I feel that Scripty's scripts are complex enough. Mixing both disallow any
simplification for KDE4, not only of Scripty (e.g. remove of charsets files in
l10n, remove of entry.desktop in l10n to use
kdelibs/kdecore/all_language.desktop ) and even would need (probably) to
revert the plan not to use the admin directory of modules for Scripty anymore
in KDE4.

Also translators have asked for more clarity more than once on kde-i18n-doc. I
fail to see how mixing things in one module is going to increase clarity. (I
mean clarity in the sense of which module is handled by which l10n module and
similar questions.)

> Greetings, Stephan

Have a nice day!