KDE 4 Core Libraries major features

Laurent Montel montel at kde.org
Fri Mar 31 08:50:00 BST 2006

On Thursday 30 March 2006 21:13, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Thursday 30 March 2006 20:17, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > Hello again fellow developers
> >
> > I have gone through the suggestions posted on the "KDE4 Development
> > Critical Path" thread and collected them all here. The features are
> > listed below:
> >
> > - Build System
> > - Getting rid of Qt3Support
> > - Phonon
> > - Solid
> > - D-Bus
> > - KConfig backends
> > - XMLGUI upgrade
> > - KHTML & friends (WebKit, KDOM/KHTML2/KSVG2)
> > - Akonadi
> >
> > For each one of those above, I'd like to know:
> > 0) is it really a needed feature for the KDE 4 Core Libraries?
> > 1) who could we list as the main contact (someone to update us on the
> > progress, etc.)?
> > 2) how far along is it?
> > 3) how long should it take to complete?
> > 4) what other features not currently done it depends on?
>
> Well, about the build system:
> 0) yes, obviously :-)

Yes necesssary to port all module to cmake.

> 1) I have only limited time so I can't compile complete svn every day. But
> I will try to solve the technical issues and stay in contact with the cmake
> developers. I guess currently the most active cmake converter is Laurent
> Montel.
> 2 + 3) quite far, but Laurent knows better than me

For the moment all kde module was converted to cmake.
But not all modules compiles fine with cmake.
For the moment kdelibs/kdebase/kdetoys compile completly with cmake (need some
minor fix: generate documentation etc.)
Other modules have all support for cmake (koffice,kdevelop, kdeutils...)
Need to add new cmake file to check lib.

For me it's necessary to work again 1-2 months to finish it (need to fix
compile with unsermake first after test compile with cmake)