kdebase + kdelibs head

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Mar 21 19:18:15 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 21 March 2006 20:03, Scott Wheeler wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 March 2006 19:33, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > is it possible that those who work on kdebase are more likely to also
> > follow trunk/kdelibs as well? kdelibs+kdebase are sort of the foundational
> > parts of kde anyways and in that sense "go together". and doesn't it make
> > more sense to have actual applications to test trunk/kdelibs against?
[...]

kdebase_snapshot might be an option indeed. It's true that many kdelibs developers are
also kdebase developers, it makes sense to work on both at the same time.
This way someone can really see the impact on app code when changing kdelibs;
but it does mean more work for every api change: one will have to check that both
kdelibs -and- kdebase fully compile with that api change (as opposed to only
"all of kdelibs" at the moment).

> I seem to remember that for KDE 2 -> KDE 3 we just had "source incompatible
> Mondays".  Why not just go back to that?

Because it takes time to test the new stuff, and currently we have ~ 2 weeks to test
new kdelibs code. With "break it all on Mondays" there would be no testing at all
before the porting of the app code (which showed to be quite useful to prevent
useless repeated porting of the apps while changing the kdelibs api).
Such a policy would actually prevent kdelibs development from happening at all,
at this point.