Quality checks (again)

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Mon Mar 20 11:21:38 GMT 2006

Hi,

 The discussion about the quality checklist did not really went in the
direction I wanted, as it was more about my implementation
(http://developer.kde.org/quality-check/) and not the checks
themselves.
So hereby I propose some items that should be checked for KDE4
(libraries and applications). Naturally some of them are library
specific, others are application specific, but the implementation can
deal with this problems.

A)  I request that every maintainer of applications and libraries in the
KDE subversion repository create his/her own XML file for the
application (or the module). If you don't understand how to do it, let
me know and I will create the file.

B) The proposed checks are:

 1. Ported to Qt4
 2. Doxygen documentation exists
 3. Regression test suite exists
 4. Follows the coding conventions
 5. Uses KIO for file access (network transparency)
 6. Uses KConfigXT
 7. KIOSK aware (merge with 6?)
 8. Uptodate handbook
 9. Uses .ui files
 10. Uses XMLGUI
 11. No icon issues (uses the standard icons or provides icons and
installs to the right place)

Some other ideas were:
 12. reviewed by the usability team
 13. implemented the results of the above review
 14. follows the HIG (when it's created)
 15. startup process is optimized (delayed initialization trick)

Please comment (add/remove/change items). Also you should know that by
simply creating such a list will not help KDE unless you really check
the code you maintain and regularly update the checklist page.

Andras