CMake and kdebase

Adriaan de Groot adriaan at codeyard.net
Thu Mar 16 12:46:29 GMT 2006

Well, since kdelibs builds with CMake just fine (see the dartboard for
results), I figured it was time to try out kdebase. This is where one rapidly
runs into the lack of canonical knowledge about CMake -- and a little
laziness wrt. reading the entire CMake manual. Here's some comments based on
current output (using CMake 2.3.3). Phrased in an unfriendly manner.

Syntax error in cmake code at
(no filename given):-1:
syntax error, unexpected cal_SYMBOL, expecting cal_RCURLY (12), when parsing
string "$ENV{ PATH } = '/bin:/usr/bin';"

This is wretched, since without a filename you're reduced to grepping for that
string in the sources and hoping you can find it. Here, there's a .pl.in file
which has been converted to .pl.cmake
( ./khelpcenter/searchhandlers/khc_docbookdig.pl.cmake ) and something's
wrong in there. I suppose cmake does .in handling differently.

CMake Error: can not find
file /mnt/tmp/kde/kde-4.0/kdebase/workspace/kdesktop/kdesktopsettings.cpp

Again, no pointer to which CMakefile this happens in. It can be deduced from
the source file mentioned here, though. The problem comes from this bit in
the CMakefile:

set( kdesktop_KCFG_SRCS kdesktopsettings.kcfgc  klaunchsettings.kcfgc )
kde4_add_kcfg_files(kdesktop_LIB_SRCS ${kdesktop_KCFG_SRCS})

and ... then something mysterious happens. Is last month's version of CMake
too old?