The Technical Working Group's mission statement

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Tue Mar 14 10:45:33 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 14 March 2006 11:34, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 March 2006 02:16, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > choice has been made and it's cmake. I want to know if people object the
> > *procedure*.
>
> i welcome our new build system overlord.

in soviet russia, cmake builds you!

> now ... where's the HOWTO on using it in KDE? =) that's really my only
> requirement is documentation, and i'm sure it's somewhere but right now
> google is only giving this to me: http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/1743

I added a COMPILING-WITH-CMAKE file to kdelibs/ in trunk a while back
containing - right then - my random guesses as to how it works and why.
Fortunately, that's been fleshed out a bit since then by Alex and others.
There's still a dire need of documentation - or a list of "you must read
this" links - to explain stuff. See for instance my recent blog entry, for
which Alexander Dymo posts a useful hint:

instead of
	./configure --prefix=/foot/bar
do
	cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/foot/bar

That's part of the useful canon of knowledge around a buildsystem.

[ade]
--
Adriaan de Groot
  KDE Quality Team