DRAFT document on coding conventions in kde libraries

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Fri Mar 10 18:13:28 GMT 2006

On Friday 10 March 2006 16:28, Henry Miller wrote:
> On Friday 10 March 2006 08:24, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> >On Wednesday 08 March 2006 23:44, Lauri Watts wrote:
> > > "Copyright" out in full and/or (preferably and) use a real copyright
> > > symbol ©
> >
> > I am not sure about using the copyright symbol alone, as it is UTF-8
> > only, while "Copyright" can be read by any ASCII-compatible encoding.
> > (That is different from a book where the result is written and does not
> > depend on an encoding to read.)
>
> I'm not a lawyer, but last I checked (in the early 1980s!) the word
> copyright had meaning only in English speaking countries, while ©has
> meaning in all countries (or at least all countries that honor copyrights).

I thought tha the Berne convention protected "Copyright" too (and the
correponding French translation, which I do not not remember right now.)
But may here I am misinformed.

> Given that UTF-8 is not banned in KDE sources, and as already pointed out
> required for some names anyway, we should instead ban any editor that
> cannot at the very least keep UTF-8 encoded letters, even if they cannot
> edit such themselves.   It sucks for those who prefer an editor that
> doesn't support UTF-8, but legally I don't think we have a choice.

I was not thinking about modifying. I was thinking about reading the copyright
notice. If you do not used UTF-8, you will not see the sign.

(...)

Have a nice day!