kconfig and kde global config files

Tobias Koenig tokoe at kde.org
Mon Mar 6 06:18:20 GMT 2006

On Sat, Mar 04, 2006 at 09:30:02AM -0700, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Saturday 04 March 2006 03:31, Clarence Dang wrote:
Hi Aaron,

> >  If one of these instances changes a config entry, the config change is not
>
> change notification really is something that would be good to add.
ACK

> we could provide some sort of config daemon that all config read/write happens
> through. done right this requires atomic commits and transactions. that's
> quite a bit to do.
IMHO something like a config daemon is a bit overhead.

> we can't really go the "cheap" route and simply watch the file(s) for changes
> in this case because config files will no longer be guaranteed to be single
> text files in kde4 (multiple backends). so while this might work ok for INI
> configs, it would probably work poorly with LDB.
Well, we just have to design the API of the KConfigBase class with this
mechanism in mind, so every backend can implement its own notification
mechanism. The file based will use KDirWatch, a gconf based can use
gconf notification (no idea whether it exists ;)) etc. etc.

> it would also suck because it would require reparsing the whole file
> rather than just updating the sections that changed... *shrug*
True for file based configuration systems, but how often a config file
is written? And why shouldn't it be possible to put the parsing code
into a separated thread?
I really don't see a performance problem here.

Ciao,
Tobias
--
Separate politics from religion and economy!
The Councile of the European Union is an undemocratic and illegal institution!