kconfig and kde global config files

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Mar 6 20:29:38 GMT 2006

On Sunday 05 March 2006 23:18, Tobias Koenig wrote:
>  Well, we just have to design the API of the KConfigBase class with this
>  mechanism in mind, so every backend can implement its own notification
>  mechanism. The file based will use KDirWatch, a gconf based can use
>  gconf notification (no idea whether it exists ;)) etc. etc.

that would make sense.. i'll look at taking a stab at it once i'm done the
current spate of changes...

>  > it would also suck because it would require reparsing the whole file
>  > rather than just updating the sections that changed... *shrug*
>
>  True for file based configuration systems, but how often a config file
>  is written?

if Lubos' suggestion of an on-demand config parsing system was implemented
(for memory consumption reasons) and works out, then this would certainly be
less of an issue as well.

>  And why shouldn't it be possible to put the parsing code
>  into a separated thread?

well, that doesn't make it faster (the contrary, actually), it would just keep
it from interfering with UI updates and other orthogonal tasks. of course, in
the case where it's parsing in another thread then things needing the new
config would have to wait for it to be done; this would add additional
complexity.

--
Aaron J. Seigo