KIOSK settings

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Sat Mar 4 19:45:46 GMT 2006

On Saturday 04 March 2006 21:33, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Saturday 04 March 2006 03:41, Andras Mantia wrote:
> > Is there any work planned on KIOSK support for KDE 4
>
> i'm working on kconfig to partly bring some additional features to
> kiosk =)

Good to hear it. :-)

> > kiosk should be transparent and should not require any
> > action from the application developer.
>
> good luck. an application can "work around" kiosk by doing things
> like passing an absolute path to kconfig which prevents the layering
> of KDEDIRS groups (for obvious reasons).

Sure, if the application author wants, it can do such things. But what I
say, if you just start to use the main KConfig object of the
application, you should get kiosk support without addign further code.

> then you have situations
> like kicker where i'm not sure we'd generify its kiosk support.

Do I understand correctly, that you don't want kiosk support for
kicker?? Why?

> what we do have is: configuration dialogs that automatically interact
> with kiosk properly via kconfigxt; kconfig that, if not given an
> absolute path, honours kiosk transparently. what else can you see
> wanting?

Nothing else, but in this case I'm wondering why there are so many apps
or config pages which do not honour kiosk settings. Something is either
not straightforward to do and many do it wrongly, or people are crazy
and start want to avoid kiosk. ;-)

> >  Regarding kiosk I also have another problem: in some cases it is
> >  desirable to have global, but changeable configuration for a group
> > of users (not global defaults for every user, but based on the
> > group they are in).
>
> this is perfectly doable by assigning a profile to the group in
> /etc/kderc. if this does not work for a given app, that's a bug in
> that app.
>
> i'd suggest fixing those apps

Yeah, it seems that the current problem is in the apps itself, altough
as I wrote, something is not clear in KConfig's usage. Maybe it's the
problem you've described with the findAllResources.

Andras