KIOSK settings

Torsten Rahn torsten.rahn at credativ.de
Sat Mar 4 12:54:21 GMT 2006

Am Samstag, 4. März 2006 11:41 schrieb Andras Mantia:
> Hi,
>
> Recently I used
> KIOSK a lot, and altough it is good, it has some problems. For example
> some applications seem to ignore the settings in a kiosk profile.

Any specific examples? :)

> Regarding kiosk I also have another problem: in some cases it is
> desirable to have global, but changeable configuration for a group of
> users (not global defaults for every user, but based on the group they
> are in).

I don't exactly get what you plan to accomplish.

Do you want immutable settings for the whole amount of users (or groups)
except for those users which are part of a special group that gets the rights
to change their  settings?
I never tried whether it would work the way I'd expect it to, but this is
probably due to the case that I try to design profiles around such kind of
doubled negations (not not changable) because they make stuff overly complex
IMHO (And I think that this kind of "attitude" to design stuff is one of the
reasons the freedesktop.org menu specification developed into its current
h_o_r_r_i_b_l_e state).

If on the other hand you just try to assign a profile to a group that
definetely should (and does) work without problems.

Anyways, I also feel that Kiosk could definetely need some more active
development love.

Torsten