KIOSK settings

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Sat Mar 4 12:39:16 GMT 2006

On Saturday 04 March 2006 14:54, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> Am Samstag, 4. März 2006 11:41 schrieb Andras Mantia:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Recently I used
> > KIOSK a lot, and altough it is good, it has some problems. For
> > example some applications seem to ignore the settings in a kiosk
> > profile.
>
> Any specific examples? :)

klipper autostart, kmix autostart (even if there is a config file which
tells to not start), cookie settings, ssl settings, save passwords for
webpages settings. Just what I remember right now.

> > Regarding kiosk I also have another problem: in some cases it is
> > desirable to have global, but changeable configuration for a group
> > of users (not global defaults for every user, but based on the
> > group they are in).
>
> I don't exactly get what you plan to accomplish.
>
> Do you want immutable settings for the whole amount of users (or
> groups) except for those users which are part of a special group that
> gets the rights to change their  settings?

No, on the system there can be several types of users, like "regular
users","students" and "guest internet users". The default settings for
them should be different. Regular users can change anything, students
have some things locked down, the others are not, internet users have
everything locked down.
Right now the problem is that even if I put a config file, for example
to "accept cookies by default" to the students group - setting which
should be changable -, it is not honored. But might be because the
cookie setting simply ignore everything that is in a kiosk profile.
So the only solution would be to make the "accept cookies" a system
global default, which is not desirable.
Does this work for you?

Andras