renaming kde-config to kde4-config

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Jun 27 00:01:05 BST 2006

On Tuesday 27 June 2006 00:12, André Wöbbeking wrote:
> > I'm fine with renaming it. But "in order to be able to install it in
> > the same dir as the KDE3 one" makes no sense. kde3 and kde4 need
> > different installation directories ("prefixes") otherwise everything
> > is going to clash. From kio_uiserver to konqueror to kmail, etc.
>
> It'll be interesting what Debian will do as they install all to /usr/bin
> and /usr/lib.

Sounds like we (or they) will have to rename all binaries installed by kdelibs then -
kio_uiserver4? kded4? kbuildsycoca4? kcookiejar4? kmailservice4? ktelnetservice4? kdontchangethehostname4? ;)
Somehow I have the feeling that this isn't right...

Therefore I suggest that we move those "helper binaries" to <kdeprefix>/libexec/kde4/.
They don't need to be in $PATH, they only need to be in KStandardDirs' "exe" resource, right?
The only downside is that the famous "run kbuildsycoca" tip would become "run <kdeprefix>/libexec/kde4/kbuildsycoca"
Well, maybe for that one we can have a kbuildsycoca4 wrapper or symlink ;)

For instance:
A kde3 app using a kio job wants to start kio_uiserver (from kdelibs3) and talk to it using DCOP.
A kde4 app using a kio job wants to start kio_uiserver (from kdelibs4) and talk to it using DBus.

But "starting kio_uiserver" isn't done with $PATH, it's done by looking up the .desktop in ksycoca.
So if kde3 and kde4 are configured with different paths for the service .desktop files  (*)
[no way to make this work otherwise!], then a different instance of kio_uiserver can be started...

(*) maybe we should install all kde4 services in <kdeprefix>/share/services/kde4/ then,
instead of just /share/services/,
This way we could skip kde3 services in ksycoca4...

I think this would nicely put it together. To start kio_uiserver4, kio-kde4 looks up a kde4 service
in ksycoca4, and starts it from <kdeprefix>/share/services/kde4. This can all be done alongside
a kde3 installed in the same or a different prefix.