renaming kde-config to kde4-config

Gary L. Greene Jr. greeneg at phoenuxos.com
Tue Jun 27 00:07:15 BST 2006

On Monday 26 June 2006 19:01, David Faure wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 June 2006 00:12, André Wöbbeking wrote:
> > > I'm fine with renaming it. But "in order to be able to install it in
> > > the same dir as the KDE3 one" makes no sense. kde3 and kde4 need
> > > different installation directories ("prefixes") otherwise everything
> > > is going to clash. From kio_uiserver to konqueror to kmail, etc.
> >
> > It'll be interesting what Debian will do as they install all to /usr/bin
> > and /usr/lib.
>
> Sounds like we (or they) will have to rename all binaries installed by
> kdelibs then - kio_uiserver4? kded4? kbuildsycoca4? kcookiejar4?
> kmailservice4? ktelnetservice4? kdontchangethehostname4? ;) Somehow I have
> the feeling that this isn't right...
>
> Therefore I suggest that we move those "helper binaries" to
> <kdeprefix>/libexec/kde4/. They don't need to be in $PATH, they only need
> to be in KStandardDirs' "exe" resource, right? The only downside is that
> the famous "run kbuildsycoca" tip would become "run
> <kdeprefix>/libexec/kde4/kbuildsycoca" Well, maybe for that one we can have
> a kbuildsycoca4 wrapper or symlink ;)
>
> For instance:
> A kde3 app using a kio job wants to start kio_uiserver (from kdelibs3) and
> talk to it using DCOP. A kde4 app using a kio job wants to start
> kio_uiserver (from kdelibs4) and talk to it using DBus.
>
> But "starting kio_uiserver" isn't done with $PATH, it's done by looking up
> the .desktop in ksycoca. So if kde3 and kde4 are configured with different
> paths for the service .desktop files  (*) [no way to make this work
> otherwise!], then a different instance of kio_uiserver can be started...
>
> (*) maybe we should install all kde4 services in
> <kdeprefix>/share/services/kde4/ then, instead of just /share/services/,
> This way we could skip kde3 services in ksycoca4...
>
> I think this would nicely put it together. To start kio_uiserver4, kio-kde4
> looks up a kde4 service in ksycoca4, and starts it from
> <kdeprefix>/share/services/kde4. This can all be done alongside a kde3
> installed in the same or a different prefix.

I much agree with David here since many of us desktop distribution developers
are forced to have some level of compatibility with our earlier releases for
commercial third party applications. While there aren't any that i know of
that use KDE's libs, I can guarantee that clients will want compatibility for
their desktop solutions.