renaming kde-config to kde4-config

Frans Englich englich at kde.org
Mon Jun 26 20:25:29 BST 2006

On Monday 26 June 2006 19:03, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to rename kde-config for KDE 4 to kde4-config.
> This will avoid ambiguities. When calling "kde4-config ..." one will always
> get the information for KDE 4, not for KDE 3 because the KDE3 kde-config
> was earlier in the PATH.
> We may run into even more issues if some distributions might decide to name
> the kde-config of KDE4 kde4-config, in order to be able to install it in
> the same dir as the KDE3 one.
> This happens right now with qmake, in debian there is qmake, qmake-qt3 and
> qmake-qt4, and leads to a lot of trouble if you want to autodetect some
> version of Qt.
> I'd like to avoid these issues completely by just naming it explicitely
> kde4-config.

I think it is sad if users must be aware of implementation details(what
version of a piece of software that is used) in order to compensate for
inadequate software(build/package systems that can't handle this version
difference). It should go in the other direction.

I can't comment on how important the impact of this change is, but I think it
is a severe usability impact if a version is coded in a command line
utility's name.

KDE will always be used. Transition periods between software changes is
only... periods.

Cheers,

		Frans