renaming kde-config to kde4-config

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Mon Jun 26 20:03:25 BST 2006

Hi,

I'd like to rename kde-config for KDE 4 to kde4-config.
This will avoid ambiguities. When calling "kde4-config ..." one will always
get the information for KDE 4, not for KDE 3 because the KDE3 kde-config was
earlier in the PATH.
We may run into even more issues if some distributions might decide to name
the kde-config of KDE4 kde4-config, in order to be able to install it in the
same dir as the KDE3 one.
This happens right now with qmake, in debian there is qmake, qmake-qt3 and
qmake-qt4, and leads to a lot of trouble if you want to autodetect some
version of Qt.
I'd like to avoid these issues completely by just naming it explicitely
kde4-config.

Are there objections ?

Bye
Alex