API docs; functional or pretty?

Dominik Haumann dhdev at gmx.de
Sun Jun 25 14:31:11 BST 2006

On Saturday 24 June 2006 01:54, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> On Thursday 22 June 2006 23:52, Dominik Haumann wrote:
> > On Thursday 22 June 2006 20:00, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > > 1) http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=112954041028124&w=2

[[ Thomas wrote: 1) http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/2102
I don't know how I was able to change the link without noticing it,
sorry ;) ]]

> > > 2) http://members.home.nl/zander/signalsSlots.diff
> > > 3) http://www.koffice.org/developer/apidocs/

> > - The box above "APIDox" which includes "Mainpage", "Namespace List",
> > etc. should be horizontally aligned on the top.
>
> It's awfully wide then, don't you think? There are about 10 different
> things that might appear there, and the double-row of "tabs" just doesn't
> really cut it for me.

Maybe you are indeed right. At least it's awfully wide at an awfully wide
resolution ;)
My aim also was't to stress the appearance too much, I still think we simply
need to write very good api documentation. That's why I mentioned the stuff
about grouping etc again.

> In Doxygen 1.4.7 which I'm now playing around with (on the EBN, 1.4.7 is
> used; on ktown, it's still 1.4.4) an additional little [ul] is created
> with a little index at the top of the page. You can see it at
>
> http://131.174.33.141/apidocs/apidox-kde-4.0/kdelibs-apidocs/kabc/html/in
>dex.html
>
> (that's just the EBN). With a little CSS trickery that would display
> across instead of down. The CSS is in kdelibs/doc/common/doxygen.css --
> just commit something and it will show up on the EBN next time :)
>
> The "API Dox" box on the left is maybe more contentious. Some people
> really like it for the overview it gives of all the parts in the SVN
> module being looked at (like the class picker which is there but disabled
> because FF doesn't like it).

If people use it, it is a reason to not remove it.

--
Dominik