API docs; functional or pretty?

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Sun Jun 25 15:55:44 BST 2006

On Sunday 25 June 2006 15:31, Dominik Haumann wrote:
> My aim also was't to stress the appearance too much, I still think we
> simply need to write very good api documentation. That's why I mentioned
> the stuff about grouping etc again.

Yes, writing better docs with good overviews, meaningful mainpages and
grouping classes together to give a better (finer-grained that per-directory)
logical structure to the API is an important issue. I'm a big fan of
@ingroup, @{, @section and all that, but I'm afraid the biggest problem with
writing good APIDOX is that the people who know the API need to write them. I
know you, Dominik, have done good work in the past adding APIDOX, but we
can't expect you to write the book on KDE's APIs all by yourself.

I ought to -- or someone -- add a little blurb to the APIDOX HOWTO (it's
rather dated by now with its KDE3 centered instructions -- I think KDE 3
APIDOX are dead now) about sectioning. It's on developer.kde.org so open to
everyone to improve.

[ade]