two playgrounds

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Sat Jun 24 11:57:01 BST 2006

On Saturday 24 June 2006 11:19, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Tom Albers wrote:
> >Because some of them are released, but dont meet the requirements to go
> > to kde or extragear.
>
> How can something that doesn't meet the minimum release requirements for
> kdereview be released?

Well, I suppose that there will ever be border-cases, like unsermake (even if
it was never really released nor is a KDE application).

But you can also think of Kexi or Kolourpaint which had releases before having
releases within the corresponding KDE module.

> In my (limited) view, if something is of quality enough to be released, it
> should be in kdereview or up. You may also want to shoot me for this, but
> if an application doesn't want to comply with the minimum requirements
> for kdereview, then we shouldn't waste our translators' precious time
> with it either.

Kdereview or up means also that there must be a maintainer. Something in the
quality of KFloppy could live somewhere in the playgrounds, as on one side
being useful but on the other being unmaintained.

Of course those are only (not-so-good) examples and, of course, we could argue
if this all is worth the extra efforts, being in the organisation,
maintaining and runtime of Scripty or being it in the (apparent) waste of
translators' work time.

Have a nice day!