two playgrounds

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Sat Jun 24 08:10:48 BST 2006

On Saturday 10 June 2006 11:59, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> >If you do that, do not forget to remove the extraction of user-visible
> >messages in Scripty for those modules (in trunk/l10n). And you can add
> > them to the experimental l10n module for KDE4: branches/work/kde4-l10n
> > .
>

> I still don't understand why playground is extracted and translated. Can't
> that be left for kdereview and up? KDE4 applications are nowhere near
> release state right now, so translating them would be pointless.

Well, it is the current policy and there was no discussion on kde-i18n-doc to
drop it (yet?).

One reason for having it is to catch early problems of i18n/l10n in
applications. However I am not sure how much this is useful compared to the
effort needed by Scripty to extract, merge etc. Also the counter-example of
KGeography showed that it did not work (as much as kdereview did not work).

Personally I am not sure anymore what to do about it (unlike months/years ago
when I thought it was clearly useful). The major problem is tracking moves of
applications, as translations should be moved too, which is mostly not done
in practice (especially kdereview to "final" module.)

Have a nice day!