[Fwd: Re: Mime-typ Scribus?]

David Faure faure at kde.org
Fri Jun 9 09:49:05 BST 2006

On Friday 09 June 2006 05:41, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> David Faure wrote:
> >
> > The easy solution is to put this in kdelibs/mimetypes
> > (plus the icon, renamed to avoid clashes)
> >
> Perhaps we should add a MIME type for Scribus to KDELIBS.
>
> However, this is a general problem.
>
> What I was thinking was that someone that was a PERL ace could write a
> script to generate the needed (and missing) MIME 'desktop' files from
> the XDG MIME XML files and decide on some method of running it when a
> non-kde package is installed.
>
> And yes, we need to address the icon name issue since we don't use that
> type of name for MIME type icons.

Sorry, I'm not interested in implementing support for "XDG shared mime" for KDE3.
It will be enough work to do it for KDE4 already.
A perl script that generates .desktop files from installed xml files is something that
distributors would have to run anyway, not KDE itself. But as you say it's a mess
icon-wise, so let's just do it properly for kde4.
For kde3 the old concept remains: the mimetype database is kdelibs, add missing
mimetypes there.