cmake

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Thu Jun 8 20:41:33 BST 2006

On Thursday 8 June 2006 18:29, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> checks, but also for other options.
> Configuring and generating both take approx. 50 percent of the time.
> But maybe it should be possible to regenerate only those Makefiles
> which are required for the current build subdir and mark the others
> only as out-of-date.

This assumes that the processor is the bottleneck; which it is not.
IO is. Which Coolo also stated in his email on this thread.
Simply doing a stat on all CMake*txt files already takes an enormous
amount of time on a big tree[1] (that doesn't fit fully in cache) and
should never be done whatever I do in a subproject. The only exception is
if I alter the CMake*txt file in that subdir or subdirs under it.
In other words; honor the hierarchic tree that project define and maintain
for a good reason; to speed up development by separating out concerns.

1) zander at dust:kde4$time find koffice/ -name CMakeLists.txt
real    1m1.887s
user    0m0.624s
sys     0m3.700s
--