cmake

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Thu Jun 8 19:55:14 BST 2006

On Thursday 08 June 2006 18:29, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thursday 08 June 2006 11:14, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > If just I wouldn't love spending my time on real issues, I'd write a XML
> > backend for cmake that basically allows running cmake to configure and
> > write out high level definitions of the things to build and then you
> > could write a script similar to unsermake (you'll use less than 20% of
> > the current code if you don't have to care for automake conditionals :)
> > that gives the user better control/feedback.
>
> Yes, I also already had this idea, let cmake dump out all its knowledge not
> in Makefiles, but easy (alhtough maybe slow) to parse xml-files which can
> be read by a relatively simple tool written in your preferred (scripting)
> language. I.e. Ruby ;-)

...or it could be implemented as a library so that IDE's like kdevelop could
link to it and use it directly to build projects instead calling command line
build tools.
Like:

BuildTree* tree=BuildSystem::open("~/src/kdelibs-build");
tree->build(); // build all

for (Target* target=tree->firstTarget(); target!=0; target=target.next())
{
... insert them somewhere in the ui
}
target->build();
etc.

Might open whole new oportunities for IDEs under UNIX.

Or is there already something like this ?
There are makeNG, ant, jam, boost::build, ...

Bye
Alex