D-BUS interfaces and whatnot (Re: KDE/kdebase/konqueror/settings/performance)

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed Jun 7 16:46:11 BST 2006

On Wednesday 07 June 2006 17:27, Richard Dale wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 June 2006 15:57, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > PS: I'd also appreciate if somebody could point me to some doc explaining
> > what the three arguments to QDBusInterfacePtr actually are. I'm afraid I
> > still don't quite get it even after reading the FAQ entry. Especially
> > what the interface is actually supposed to be good for is completely
> > beyond me.
>
> Yes, and why do some of the things have slashes and others don't? For
> example:
>
>          dbus-send --dest=’org.freedesktop.ExampleName            \
>                    /org/freedesktop/sample/object/name              \
>                    org.freedesktop.ExampleInterface.ExampleMethod   \
>                    int32:47 string:’hello world’ double:65.32

The part with the slashes is an object path, an address on how to locate the
object in the target process.
I have a little bit of overview information about this in my binding
backport's API dox (1)

> I don't personally think the above is an example of a user friendly
> scripting call compared with the dcop command line utility. Is it possible
> to come up with a simpler equivalent to dbus-send for normal humans?

We could have a kdedbus command that takes input in a more similar convention
to dcop

Cheers,
Kevin

(1) http://tinyurl.com/kra5w