D-BUS interfaces and whatnot (Re: KDE/kdebase/konqueror/settings/performance)

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Wed Jun 7 16:27:26 BST 2006

On Wednesday 07 June 2006 15:57, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> PS: I'd also appreciate if somebody could point me to some doc explaining
> what the three arguments to QDBusInterfacePtr actually are. I'm afraid I
> still don't quite get it even after reading the FAQ entry. Especially what
> the interface is actually supposed to be good for is completely beyond me.
Yes, and why do some of the things have slashes and others don't? For example:

         dbus-send --dest=’org.freedesktop.ExampleName            \
                   /org/freedesktop/sample/object/name              \
                   org.freedesktop.ExampleInterface.ExampleMethod   \
                   int32:47 string:’hello world’ double:65.32

I don't personally think the above is an example of a user friendly scripting
call compared with the dcop command line utility. Is it possible to come up
with a simpler equivalent to dbus-send for normal humans?

-- Richard