D-BUS interfaces and whatnot (Re: KDE/kdebase/konqueror/settings/performance)

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Wed Jun 7 16:54:52 BST 2006

On Wednesday 07 June 2006 16:46, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 June 2006 17:27, Richard Dale wrote:
> > On Wednesday 07 June 2006 15:57, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > > PS: I'd also appreciate if somebody could point me to some doc
> > > explaining what the three arguments to QDBusInterfacePtr actually are.
> > > I'm afraid I still don't quite get it even after reading the FAQ entry.
> > > Especially what the interface is actually supposed to be good for is
> > > completely beyond me.
> >
> > Yes, and why do some of the things have slashes and others don't? For
> > example:
> >
> >          dbus-send --dest=’org.freedesktop.ExampleName            \
> >                    /org/freedesktop/sample/object/name              \
> >                    org.freedesktop.ExampleInterface.ExampleMethod   \
> >                    int32:47 string:’hello world’ double:65.32
>
> The part with the slashes is an object path, an address on how to locate
> the object in the target process.
> I have a little bit of overview information about this in my binding
> backport's API dox (1)
Well I've had a look and I still don't grok the difference between object
paths and interface names, or why some have scope delimiters of '.', and
others '/'.

> > I don't personally think the above is an example of a user friendly
> > scripting call compared with the dcop command line utility. Is it
> > possible to come up with a simpler equivalent to dbus-send for normal
> > humans?
>
> We could have a kdedbus command that takes input in a more similar
> convention to dcop
Yes, I think for scripting we can assume 47 is an int, 'hello world' is a
string and 65.32 is a float. But if these three long interface names are
needed for each method invocation how can we get rid of them. If they aren't
needed why are they there in the first place?

-- Richard