KDE4: Making xdg-utils future-proof

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Thu Jul 27 03:53:51 BST 2006

Hi,

In about two weeks I hope to release the first stable version of xdg-utils
(1.0) [1]. It has been tested [2] with several versions of KDE 3 but it has
not been tested with KDE 4. That's because KDE 4 hasn't been released yet :-)

It would be nice if this first version of xdg-utils would be able to work out
of the box with KDE 4. Since KDE 4 is breaking compatibility in various
places that is unlikely to happen by itself. (E.g. xdg-utils uses kde-config
to detect whether KDE is installed and kde-config is called  kde4-config in
KDE4.)

I would like to ask for a volunteer to do two things
1) make sure that xdg-utils 1.0 works with KDE 4
2) make sure that KDE 4 doesn't change in a way that breaks xdg-utils 1.0 :-)

Cheers,
Waldo

[1] http://portland.freedesktop.org
[2] http://portland.freedesktop.org/wiki/TestSuite
--
Linux Client Architect - Channel Platform Solutions Group - Intel Corporation