KDE4: Making xdg-utils future-proof

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sun Jul 30 14:30:48 BST 2006

On Thursday 27 July 2006 04:53, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In about two weeks I hope to release the first stable version of xdg-utils
> (1.0) [1]. It has been tested [2] with several versions of KDE 3 but it has
> not been tested with KDE 4. That's because KDE 4 hasn't been released yet
> :-)
>
> It would be nice if this first version of xdg-utils would be able to work
> out of the box with KDE 4. Since KDE 4 is breaking compatibility in various
> places that is unlikely to happen by itself. (E.g. xdg-utils uses
> kde-config to detect whether KDE is installed and kde-config is called
> kde4-config in KDE4.)
>
> I would like to ask for a volunteer to do two things
> 1) make sure that xdg-utils 1.0 works with KDE 4

I think this is not going to be possible, xdg-utils will need different code
paths for KDE4

> 2) make sure that KDE 4 doesn't change in a way that breaks xdg-utils 1.0
> :-)

I thought about it and IMHO the best option is to make sure that KDE4 is not
detected as KDE3. Since we currently "detect" KDE by checking if
KDE_FULL_SESSION is true, for example by setting KDE_FULL_SESSION to "kde4"

Cheers,
Kevin

--
Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>