kdelibs coding style

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Fri Jul 21 12:06:08 BST 2006

Am Donnerstag, 20. Juli 2006 21:39 schrieb Maksim Orlovich:
> > With much love from Russia comes temperature checker (prediction: it's
> > hot! flaming hot!) in the form of a proposal for a common coding style
> > in kdelibs.
>
> I see severe thunderstoms approaching Poland.
>
> At any rate, I am very disappointed to see this. I always thought one of
> the strengths of KDE was to let developers develop, without needless rules
> forcing them all on the same page.

Let me make this clear: we won't revert any changes done to existing code that
won't reindent "correctly". But we want to have a style guide for kdelibs
that people can lean to. "respect the author's style" is a pretty bad rule as
we have files that were touched (and indented) by several authors and we have
files that stick to the style of Torben's early years and the style to Waldo's
late years and those that happened to be edited with vim's default style and
those that happened to be edited with kde-emacs's default style.

And _this_ is what we want to change: make sure we have a rule that people can
accept if they feel like it. Currently the message is pretty tough: Find your
way through the mess - just try not to make it a bigger mess.

And to those worried about the decision happening on a invite only meeting:
Everyone in the TWG agreed that we want _one_ published style and as everyone
has his pet style, we decided the best we can have is picking the (meanwhile
reasonable) Qt style. And David and me checked shortly: most code in kdelibs
already applies these rules.

Greetings, Stephan