kdelibs coding style

Guillaume Laurent glaurent at telegraph-road.org
Sun Jul 23 00:10:29 BST 2006

On Sunday 23 July 2006 00:21, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Saturday 22 July 2006 13:25, Maks Orlovich wrote:
> > No, it's not. Yes, the proposed policy itself affects only kdelibs. But
> > the /nature/ of the policy affects everyone. This sets a precedent that
> > something that's merely a matter of preference and not technical merit
> > can be legislated as a policy in the project. And in fact, even making
> > kdelibs different in a way that's not technically neccessary (constract
> > with e.g. BC), introduces a small but existing psychological barrier for
> > contributors to jump into kdelibs from other modules.
>
> this contradicts every bit of experience i've ever had in software
> development and apparently others who have bothered to reply.

I very much concur. Having a clean-looking code base helps people in, rather
than keeping them out. It makes the code more readable, but most of all it
conveys a sense of quality and care, so contributors are generally driven to
keep the same level of quality in their patches. And yes, they should be
aware that their patches will be rejected if they can't be bother to keep the
same style.

--
Guillaume.
http://www.telegraph-road.org