kdelibs coding style

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sat Jul 22 10:09:26 BST 2006

Stephan Kulow wrote:
>Let me make this clear: we won't revert any changes done to existing
> code that won't reindent "correctly". But we want to have a style guide
> for kdelibs that people can lean to. "respect the author's style" is a
> pretty bad rule as we have files that were touched (and indented) by
> several authors and we have files that stick to the style of Torben's
> early years and the style to Waldo's late years and those that happened
> to be edited with vim's default style and those that happened to be
> edited with kde-emacs's default style.

Making matters worse:

Laurent's scripts did not respect indentation for the most part. He also
had a lot of work to do when porting, so in many places he simply did not
care about indentation either.

So many files already have mangled indentation.

When I ported kdelibs to D-BUS, I tried my best to keep to each author's
style. That's a PITA!

Each file has a different indentation. Almost none of them has an Emacs
modeline. That means I had to *guess* what the indentation style was,
especially what the tab stop size was.

I might have been wrong in many occasions, which compounds the problem of
mixed indentations.

So, if this proposal is not adopted, I suggest that we add Emacs, vim and
kate modelines to EVERY SINGLE file in kdelibs.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358