New Prosal [was Re: policy change related to kdelibs snapshots]

Jaison Lee lee.jaison at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 15:02:23 BST 2006

On 7/13/06, Thomas Zander <zander at kde.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 13 July 2006 05:28, Jaison Lee wrote:
> > I look forward to having KDE apps available to people running other
> > OSes, but I absolutely draw the line at removing existing, functional
> > features from my own desktop just because those other OSes are
> > crippled or have only recently realized that mice should have more
> > than one button.
>
> This read a lot like a knee-jerk reaction to the simple case of removing a
> feature that almost nobody knows about.

If no-one knows about it, then the feature is not advertised well,
that's all. Kulow admits later on that once you find the speed-pause
amarok ability it is extremely handy. It allows me to be lazy. Lazy is
good.

> I am fully aware that for every
> feature there is a user that objects when it is removed, but you have to
> ask yourself why you force others to keep maintaining code for a feature
> that people will _only_ find when told about it.

I'm not forcing anybody to do anything but attempt to save a feature
that there is NO WAY to tell how many people actually use on a daily
basis (the world does not consist of the people on kde-core-devel). If
Trolltech comes back and says there is absolutely positively NO WAY
they can emit a middle mouse button click under any circumstances (a
shockingly questionable position I think) then I am more than willing
to put work into making an alternative.

And BTW: No one had to tell me that a middle mouse button works in the
systray. It just never occurred to me that it woudn't. I suppose I
must be a super-genius or something.

> That, my friend, is the definition of an expert user craving an expert
> feature.

There is a problem with this? I would argue expert users are expert
BECAUSE of the features they utilize.