New Prosal [was Re: policy change related to kdelibs snapshots]

mETz mETz81 at web.de
Thu Jul 13 09:21:39 BST 2006

On Thursday July 13 2006 00:25, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> it makes me half-shudder how some of our icons do cute special little
> things on MMB and most don't. in any case, the question is which do we
> pick:
>
> 1) ask trolltech to add MMB support even though it's not portable

I vote for this!

QSystemTrayIcon::showMessage() is also unsupported on OS X so why not add even
more non-portable things? I don't see a problem with yet another notice in
the docs (Btw, this also goes for Qt supporting an arbitrary number of mouse
buttons, just because OS X doesn't know how a mouse works shouldn't keep me
from using my thumb button in Qt/KDE).

> 2) declare that MMB is not supported in the tray. period.

I use mmb regularly on noatun, kmix and licq trayicons and find it quite
handy. It's not like I want to have global shortcuts for all these actions
(which would be an alternative).

> 3) #2 plus decide that we're moving to a new system for these things
> anyways which makes more sense than a system tray and if you want fancy
> things like middle clicks that's the way to go.

I don't really want any of my apps to be a plasmoid instead. It makes perfect
sense to have them in the systray. Most apps that didn't make sense in
systray (knetload comes to mind) are dead by now or switched to applets.

> there is no "keep our own implementation" in the list above because i
> truly, truly hope that people don't decide to keep our own entire systray
> implementation just because of MMB when an xdg-compatible solution (which
> ksystemtray isn't right now) already exists in qt.

Duplicating code almost never makes sense, yep.

If Trolltech really didn't want to support mmb we could still ask for
supporting QWidget::mouse*Event() and handle that in KSystemTrayIcon (note:
I'm not sure if that's possible with QSystemTrayIcon probably being a QObject
on purpose).

Bye, Stefan aka mETz