New Prosal [was Re: policy change related to kdelibs snapshots]

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Thu Jul 13 10:09:56 BST 2006

On Thursday 13 July 2006 10:21, mETz wrote:
> > 2) declare that MMB is not supported in the tray. period.
>
> I use mmb regularly on noatun, kmix and licq trayicons and find it
> quite handy. It's not like I want to have global shortcuts for all
> these actions (which would be an alternative).

What confuses me is that the styleguide has said for years: [1]

* Single clicking on the systray icon will show/hide the main interface of
the application.
* Right clicking will show a popup menu with at least a quit and a
configure option.

The above means (I only have kmix installed, so correct me if I'm wrong)
that those applications are not honoring the left click rule and you need
a middle-click to do what the styleguide says should be default anyway.

I think we are solving the wrong problem with MMB.  Or am I missing
something here?

1) both in the old
http://developer.kde.org/documentation/standards/kde/style/basics/systray.html
and the new HIG: