policy change related to kdelibs snapshots

Tomas Mecir mecirt at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 10:15:56 BST 2006

On 7/10/06, Thomas Zander <zander at kde.org> wrote:
> I (as a KWord developer) am firmly against dropping the libs-snapshot,
> even in the way you suggest.
> KOffice is on a tight schedule as is and forcing me to recompile kdelibs
> kdepimlibs and koffice so often will not only take the fun out of
> hacking.
>
> Updating all the packages above and compiling them takes about 3 hours.

KSpread developer here, and I too am strongly against this. For me,
it's not 3 hours, it's more like 8-10 hours, and that's only kdelibs4
and the most necessary parts of KOffice that I need, not everything.

Not having snapshot would mean having to recompile on a daily
schedule, as API changes seem to be happening all the time now, which
would mean that unless KOffice decides to ignore trunk and go with a
certain snapshot, I would not be able to develop/commit anything until
kdelibs API stabilises.

/ Tomas