modifier-only shortcuts

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sat Jul 8 12:29:01 BST 2006

Andy Rysin wrote:
>Ok, so let me to summarize this if I got it right:
>
>1. We will provide possibility for users to have modifier-only shortcuts
> if they really want it, the question if it's for everything or just for
> kxkb

As many have pointed out, there are many drawbacks to modifier-only
shortcuts in general. I think it would be best if this kind of thing were
limited to standardised usability shortcuts (such as 5 x Shift, etc.). So
kxkb could be an exception.

>2 The default chosen shortcut for layout switching will be "proper"
> not-a-modifier-only shortcut, but which is easy to press with two
> fingers on one hand. Current two proposals: Ctrl+Menu and Alt+Shift.
> First one is very like Alt+Shift or Ctrl+Shift often used by Win users
> but have problem of not being present on older keyboards.

From what I remember from bugs.kde.org, the only request is for the
Windows-style shortcut. I don't remember anyone ever asking for a
different combination.

>3. Alternative to 2 could be still modifier-only Alt+Alt (as used in
> gnome) as this combination is not used (correct me if I am wrong) in
> any other shortcut combination so no "accident switching will happen".

How do you press the same key twice? Or do you mean Alt+AltGr?

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358