kdevelop (Re: Proposal to plan for "Milestone Releases" on the way to KDE4)

Maks Orlovich mo85 at cornell.edu
Thu Jan 26 05:10:01 GMT 2006

> > I think from my POV, it's simply that:
> > 1. I move around code a lot. Setting up projects, etc., is extra work.
> > And just because I got sick of seeing some bug report being filed again
> > and again and went to fix the app doesn't mean I'll deal with the app
> > ever again.
>
> Ok, that can be addressed. My recent KDevelop4 ui design concentrates
> also on making code/file management tasks easier (providing that project
> management is done transparently - not explicitly as it is now).

Sounds pretty cool.

> > 2. KDevelop is late in the build and takes forever to compile.
>
> Heh. There's not much we can do here ;). We can only make sure
> it runs as fast as possible after you compile it...

Well, may be provide compile options to disable fortran support or something
--- if you don't already...

> > 3. I didn't actually seem to find compelling enough features compared to
> > a plain editor
>
> What are the top 10 features you would like to have?

I guess what would really help is high-level navigation/cross-referencing.
(SVN makes grepping much more painful, due to all the .svn files)
I think you have some of that, but it's not easy to get to. And yeah, being
able to build/debug/valgrind is important too, but that can be hopefully
pretty inconspicuous in UI.

Autocompletion is nice, preferably w/o having to play w bizarre database
settings. And I don't need it to be smart --- I think kate's word-completion
plugin is close to what's the needed, I just wish it found words in other
files. (e.g. the headers) [smarter is better, of course, but for me it's not
a must)

> > and the UI is complex, and I am afraid, not very coherent.
>
> Yes, simple ui is what I have in mind.

Great. Though I think what bothered me was not as much the number of things
(though having dozens of slide out tabs on all borders of the screen is a bit
too much), but the feel of having lots of little plugins that don't really
interact.

Thanks,
Maks