kdevelop (Re: Proposal to plan for "Milestone Releases" on the way to KDE4)

Alexander Dymo adymo at mksat.net
Thu Jan 26 00:59:06 GMT 2006

On Thursday 26 January 2006 02:36, Maks Orlovich wrote:
> > > I've been watching at core KDE developers for three years. They still
> > > use vi (emacs). Why? Looks like KDevelop doesn't have clear benefits as
> Because those of us using kate are too young to count as core devels? ;-)
Oops :)

> I think from my POV, it's simply that:
> 1. I move around code a lot. Setting up projects, etc., is extra work. And
> just because I got sick of seeing some bug report being filed again and
> again and went to fix the app doesn't mean I'll deal with the app ever
> again.
Ok, that can be addressed. My recent KDevelop4 ui design concentrates
also on making code/file management tasks easier (providing that project
management is done transparently - not explicitly as it is now).

> 2. KDevelop is late in the build and takes forever to compile.
Heh. There's not much we can do here ;). We can only make sure
it runs as fast as possible after you compile it...

> 3. I didn't actually seem to find compelling enough features compared to a
> plain editor
What are the top 10 features you would like to have?

> and the UI is complex, and I am afraid, not very coherent.
Yes, simple ui is what I have in mind.

> I most recently gave KDevelop a good shot for a Java project @
> work/school/research. It wasn't very impressive --- particularly the part
> where trying debug menu entries launched gdb. (Though, I wasn't
> particularly impressed with eclipse either, not sure why)
Java support was not tested/used enough to be in a "good" state.
We already deleted languages we don't have resources to support
from the codebase,