kdevelop (Re: Proposal to plan for "Milestone Releases" on the way to KDE4)

Jakob Petsovits jpetso at gmx.at
Thu Jan 26 10:59:48 GMT 2006

On Thursday, 26. January 2006 06:10, Maks Orlovich wrote:
> Autocompletion is nice, preferably w/o having to play w bizarre database
> settings.

The PCS database thing is also something that confuses Visual Studio converts,
as it does all that automatically. It would be way better if the project only
stores additional include directories and all the includes in the project's
sources are parsed automatically. Instead of a per-project completion
database, the databases could be stored per user and file
(in .kde/share/apps/kdevelop) and on every project startup the included files
are checked with an md5sum if they're still current. If not, reparse.

> Great. Though I think what bothered me was not as much the number of things
> (though having dozens of slide out tabs on all borders of the screen is a
> bit too much), but the feel of having lots of little plugins that don't
> really interact.

Maybe KDevelop should go the way Kate does by disabling most plugins by
default instead of enabling them?

Apart from that, when I use Kate instead of KDevelop it is because of project
management overhead. KDevelop needs a "pseudo build manager" plugin that
doesn't build or manage anything but just combines editing features from Kate
with code completion, Apidox, class wizard etc. features from KDevelop.

Also, renaming of files in automake or other build managers must become easier
(including updated project files and correct rebuilding without hassles).

So long,
  Jakob