kdevelop (Re: Proposal to plan for "Milestone Releases" on the way to KDE4)

Maks Orlovich mo85 at cornell.edu
Thu Jan 26 00:36:28 GMT 2006

On Wednesday 25 January 2006 18:44, David Faure wrote:
> On Thursday 26 January 2006 00:40, Alexander Dymo wrote:

OK, doing a dual-reply thing, hope I don't get people too confused.

> > I've been watching at core KDE developers for three years. They still use
> > vi (emacs). Why? Looks like KDevelop doesn't have clear benefits as

Because those of us using kate are too young to count as core devels? ;-)

> > a development tool for them. This is, of course my opinion and I'd really
> > like to hear from KDE developers what they think is wrong in KDevelop.

I think from my POV, it's simply that:
1. I move around code a lot. Setting up projects, etc., is extra work. And
just because I got sick of seeing some bug report being filed again and again
and went to fix the app doesn't mean I'll deal with the app ever again.
2. KDevelop is late in the build and takes forever to compile.
3. I didn't actually seem to find compelling enough features compared to a
plain editor, and the UI is complex, and I am afraid, not very coherent.

I most recently gave KDevelop a good shot for a Java project @
work/school/research. It wasn't very impressive --- particularly the part
where trying debug menu entries launched gdb. (Though, I wasn't particularly
impressed with eclipse either, not sure why)

> I would need kdevelop to have support for emacs-lisp, or to have at least
> all the features implemented in kdesdk/scripts/kde-emacs/ (good luck!),
> but the latter would be less flexible for future extensibility...

uff. katepart has KJS scripting. Does it -have- to be lisp?