which compilers do we want to support with KDE 4 ?

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sat Jan 21 10:32:35 GMT 2006

Hi,

up to KDE 3.5 we still supported gcc 2.95, AFAIK this was dropped for KDE 4.

Now I have major problems compiling kdelibs/kxmlcore/ using gcc 3.2.3, IOW gcc
3.2.3 isn't able to compile HashMap/HashTable/HashMapPtrSpec without  bigger
changes. I already got a bit further but now I get an internal compiler
error.
AFAIK this is code from Apple, which use gcc >= 4.0.
Do we want to support gcc < 3.4 for KDE 4 ?

I think we should, otherwise we will loose a lot of developer time (updating
g++ means updating all C++ libs on the system, AFAIK), including mine.

Is gcc 3.3 able to compile kdelibs/kxmlcore ?
Is gcc 3.3 ABI compatible to gcc 3.2 ?
What about gcc 3.0 and gcc 3.1 ?

But I am afraid I am not able to get kxmlcore compiling with gcc 3.2.3,
somebody who knows more about this code and about templates should have a
look or give me some assistence.

Bye
Alex

P.S. this is currently the reason why there is no progress with the cmake
build of kdelibs