K-Menu, XDG menus and Kiosk woes

Torsten Rahn torsten.rahn at credativ.de
Thu Jan 19 15:41:28 GMT 2006

Am Donnerstag, 19. Januar 2006 14:19 schrieb Jonathan Riddell:
> On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 03:06:54PM +0100, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> It is a shame but the trouble comes from the spec being essentially
> incomplete in that it makes distros choose either the Gnome menu
> layout or the KDE menu layout, or split as we have done.

To distinguish items appearing in KDE and Gnome the spec defines the ShowIn
tag:

http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/menu-spec-0.9.html#desktop-entry-extensions-examples

This would be a viable solution while respecting the specs. Due to the fact
that empty Categories/Directories don't show up this would even work for
submenu-entries!

I agree that applications.menu files might become harder to read if they
contain KDE as well as gnome stuff and you can just distinguish both by
looking into desktop-files.
However splitting this directory neglecting any possible path for forward- or
backward-compatibility is a
no-no! Especially as this does hit migrations on enterprise level without
warning and without assistance!
And if you see the need for an extension in a completely incompatible way
(this basically pulls the plug for Kiosk to work correctly right from the
start!), why hasn't there been any proposal on the respective
freedesktop-list, yet? After all KDE 3.4 and this "fix" are more than a year
old!

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards,

        Torsten Rahn

--
Dipl.-Phys. Torsten Rahn, credativ GmbH
Karl-Heinz-Beckurts-Str. 13, 52428 Jülich, Germany

http://www.credativ.com  - The Creative IT-Consultants
        Debian * PostgreSQL * Groupware * KDE