K-Menu, XDG menus and Kiosk woes

Jonathan Riddell jriddell at ubuntu.com
Thu Jan 19 13:19:56 GMT 2006

On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 03:06:54PM +0100, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 19. Januar 2006 12:25 schrieb Jonathan Riddell:
>
> > Here's the patch:
> >
> > http://muse.19inch.net/~jr/tmp/kubuntu_02_kmenu.diff
>
> This patch will just help for _NEW_ KDE Profiles created with the _patched_
> KDE-Kiosktool or for "handcrafted" profiles based on kde-applications.menu.
>
> It won't help if you created Kiosk Profiles using KDE 3.3 and/or the Kiosktool
> w/o the patch. So if you update from (<=) KDE 3.3 to KDE 3.4 or 3.5 you need
> to rename the applications.menu to kde-applications.menu beforehand and only
> then you can work on your profiles using the patched Kiosktool!
>
> I personally find it a shame that distributions in this case deliberately
> violate standards which were accepted by KDE as well as gnome already.
> Even worse: they do it without mentioning.
> They just put KDE into a bad light by doing so (because critical stuff won't
> work afterwards on enterprise level).

It is a shame but the trouble comes from the spec being essentially
incomplete in that it makes distros choose either the Gnome menu
layout or the KDE menu layout, or split as we have done.  If there was
an agreed layout hosted on freedesktop.org in the same way as there is
an agreed index.theme file for the hicolour icon theme that would be
great.

Jonathan