enum's & KConfigBase

Thomas Braxton brax108 at cox.net
Mon Jan 16 22:58:00 GMT 2006

On Monday 16 January 2006 16:41, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Monday 16 January 2006 19:39, Thomas Braxton wrote:
> > What do you guys think of this macro?
>
> I'm not so sure if its a good idea to convert enums to integers and back.
> enum's tend to be reordered within applications, which break binary
> compatibility (not a problem usually for inner-apps usage) but then also
> breaks configuration reading. This is a major problem. KDE applications
> break already way too often their own configuration (I cannot remember how
> often already I had to redo the very same settings in e.g. konversation
> because the way the configuration key was stored was changed *yet another*
> time). We shouldn't make it too easy to keep that nasty habit.
I could change it to something like Olivier Goffart suggested, but not sure
about Q_ENUM usage yet, have to look at it.  Thinking about it, this would
probably be best, since as you say enums get reordered. Converting enums to
integers is the way most code does it now. I'll look at this tonight, and get
back to you guys later.

Thomas