enum's & KConfigBase

Hans Meine hans_meine at gmx.net
Tue Jan 17 16:17:48 GMT 2006

On Monday 16 January 2006 23:58, Thomas Braxton wrote:
> On Monday 16 January 2006 16:41, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> > On Monday 16 January 2006 19:39, Thomas Braxton wrote:
> > > What do you guys think of this macro?
> >
> > I'm not so sure if its a good idea to convert enums to integers and back.
> > enum's tend to be reordered within applications, which break binary
> > compatibility (not a problem usually for inner-apps usage) but then also
> > breaks configuration reading. This is a major problem. KDE applications
> > break already way too often their own configuration (I cannot remember
> > how often already I had to redo the very same settings in e.g.
> > konversation because the way the configuration key was stored was changed
> > *yet another* time). We shouldn't make it too easy to keep that nasty
> > habit.
>
> I could change it to something like Olivier Goffart suggested, but not sure
> about Q_ENUM usage yet, have to look at it.  Thinking about it, this would
> probably be best, since as you say enums get reordered. Converting enums to
> integers is the way most code does it now. I'll look at this tonight, and
> get back to you guys later.

FWIW, I want to point out the enum<->string conversion macros which Neil
Williams posted to pilot-link-devel in April/May of 2005, including this link
to a related thread:

https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-devel/2005-March/012849.html

These require a macro-ized marking up of enums, and would then allow to store
its values as string.

I guess at least *someone* will find this helpful for something..

Have a nice day,
  Hans