Removing aRts

Sébastien Laoût slaout at linux62.org
Fri Feb 17 19:21:16 GMT 2006

Le Vendredi 17 Février 2006 20:08, Matthias Kretz a écrit :
> Yes, I already have a class AvCapture that allows selecting one arbitrary
> audio source and one arbitrary video source. This then also tells the
> backend implicitely that the two signals need to be kept in sync later on
> (whatever the program does with it).

Very good.

Phonon will rock.
And KDE 4 with it.
And then the KDE 4 applications too :-)

> Depends on what the backend can/will do. But yes compressed formats will be
> possible. But I don't think writing a multitrack recording tool will be a
> strenght of Phonon. (Perhaps I'm pessimistic, but I think you'd want the
> full power of a mediaframework for such an application - or do it all
> yourself.)

No need for a multitrack recording tool.
At least for me.
I, as the developer of BasKet Note Pads, only need a way to record audio
notes, append audio after another track, and that's all.

> Possible, but I think it's probably better to do that with some other lib.
> With Phonon you'd have to do a playback of the original file to a new file
> and then stop that playback earlier (or seek before it starts). The backend
> could even support to do it as fast as the CPU allows as long as there's no
> playback involved. No high precision, but perhaps good enough... on the
> other hand, if a method "stopAt( int msec )" is added, Phonon could be as
> good as any other lib for that.

Ah, I haven't thinked to the solution of playing the song and recording it!
That should do the trick.

Unless someone is recording a whole 1 hour meeting!
Hum... Someone WILL do that.
So I will cut audio notes with another library.
That would be better :-)

Best regards,
Sébastien Laoût.