plugins and kdeinit on Windows ?

Jaroslaw Staniek js at iidea.pl
Fri Feb 3 20:14:34 GMT 2006

Thiago Macieira said the following, On 2006-02-03 09:28:
> Alexander Neundorf wrote:
>
>>are KDE plugins (kparts, kioslaves,...) and and kdeinit loadable modules
>>(klm) handled under windows the same way as under unix ?
>

> You've just invented the term "klm", right? :-)
>
> I don't know how they're handled on Win32, but they have to be DLLs,
> because they are loaded at runtime. We currently use libltdl to do our
> module-loading stuff, so it handles the loading of DLLs on Windows for
> us.
>

>>IOW is kdeinit actually required under windows or should simple
>>executables be built instead of klm's ?
>

> I think simple executables are Ok on Win32, given that their executable
> format is loaded and dynamically linked much faster than on ELF
> platforms.
>
> But I'll let the Win32 developers provide hard data.
>

>>How are the plugins handled ? Are the libtool la files required under
>>windows ? (I guess not)
>

> I'm not sure. I know the static libraries we use for building do not carry
> dependency information, but I think the DLLs do.
>
> So I think we can get rid of the .la files on Win32 too.

.la files are used for kdelibs3/win32. As I am using only qmake + sh there, I
am getting .la files by simply copying them from my Linux partition, or just
create them by hand in a few seconds (rare case).

In libldtl, there already was a piece of code that parses DLL's base name, the
same as on unix. For win32 I am:
-cutting off "lib" prefix
-adding ".dll" suffix for release build, or
-adding "_d.dll" suffix for debug build

so e.g. we have katepart.dll and katepart_d.dll, respectively.

I'd like to get rid of .la (if possible) on win32 too.

--
regards / pozdrawiam,
  Jaroslaw Staniek / OpenOffice Polska

  Kexi Developer:      http://www.kexi-project.org | http://koffice.org/kexi
  Kexi Support:        http://www.kexi-project.org/support.html
  Kexi For MS Windows: http://kexi.pl/wiki/index.php/Kexi_for_MS_Windows
  KDE3, KDE4 Libraries For Developing MS Windows Applications:
                       http://www.kdelibs.com/wiki