Naming projects and libraries (was: Re: New special effects library)

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau friedrich.w.h at kossebau.de
Tue Dec 19 12:52:51 GMT 2006

Am Dienstag, 19. Dezember 2006 13:34, schrieb Thomas Zander:
> On Tuesday 19 December 2006 12:40, Zack Rusin wrote:
> > It looks like we're trying to market libraries which in turn is pretty
> > bizarre. Users don't care, or should never have to care about
> > technologies under the applications they're using, so the existence of
> > Phonon, Solid or Decibel doesn't matter to them.
>
> If we were a company; I'd agree. But we are an open source project and
> after targeting users, we have to realize that the only way we can go on
> living is getting new developers.  So we market for new developers as much,
> or even more, than for end users.
> Which makes having cool library names a pretty big deal.

I think both Zack and Thomas are right.

I agree with Zack that having names like Phonon, Decibel etc. in the code is
not really helpful. Especially if these names are in basic foundation
libraries, and not some optional third party code.

But I think with Thomas, that instead of naming e.g. the project "Solid"
the "KDE Hardware Abstraction Layer" project is not cool, too.

So what about using descriptive, simple, nonmystic names in the code, and
mystic, cool names for the projects developing them?

Friedrich